3 Ways to Make a List in HTML
So, you want to make a list in HTML? It’s not hard. Other facets of HTML, the “3 Things I Know You Need for HTML in WordPress” are not difficult. You won’t find it hard to make a list in HTML by the end of this post. That is the goal.
Let’s start with 1’s and 2’s
The Ordered List.
- Anytime you have a list that you want to put in order, this is the way to go. The ordered list uses the symbols in this picture.
- “ol” inside angle brackets to open the list
- “li” inside angle brackets to add a line item
- “/li” inside angle brackets to close the single line item
- “/ol” inside angle brackets to close the list
Now, you see that I used an ordered list to explain the image. There are some things about this list and when you make a list in HTML in general that you should know.
- You can place text next to the opening tag to use as an intro for the list.
- Place anything inside a list that you want between the “li” tags, like links or images.
- Any text not added with the list tags will be formatted like regular text.
- In between the list tags, add paragraphs for extra information you want to give.
We can move on to bullets,
The “Un-ordered” List
You see above that I already created an un-ordered list for your viewing pleasure. The creation of this list is very similar to the ordered list. The only real difference is the letter “u” inside the tag and how the list looks when you’re done.
One thing I haven’t mentioned that you may have figured out. Every item in your list has to have the list tags, opened and closed. It may seem obvious, but some might not see it at first.
Okay, now we can finish this with something new to me,
The Description List
When I thought to explain how to make a list in HTML, I honestly only knew about ordered and un-ordered lists. But I did a little checking and much to my surprise, I get to tell you about something else that I certainly plan to use in my future posts.
The Description List
Sometimes, you don’t want any numbers or bullets. I can understand wanting a list that doesn’t get indented either. When you have a term that you want to define, the description list is perfect as well. Let me give you an example.
- A “Make a List in HTML Benefit” –
- Knowing the different ways to make a list in HTML can help you to organize your content on the website you build. Organization assists with easy reading and the efficient knowledge dissemination.
You can see how the “dl” replaces the “ol” and “ul.” The “dt” replaces the “li” (list tag) and stands for “description term.” Coincidentally, the boldness of the text above happened as a result of the “dt” tags.
A little plug for affiliate marketing:
Check out my review of Wealthy Affiliate.